Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Choices, Change, and Opportunity

Someone wise told me tonight that the opportunities that keep knocking at my door are not going to go away any time soon.  They will be there tomorrow, next week, and in 5 years.  What I took from this was the ability to breath.  I was able to recognize, with that simple statement, I have choices.  I do not have to scramble to do everything all at once. These opportunities are here because of the hard work I have put in over the years.  The networking, the education, and the skills I have developed over the years open these doors.  More importantly, I open these doors. They say, "When opportunity knocks, you should listen." Sometimes what it is saying is look at how far you have come.
Opening doors, inevitably, means choosing one to walk through.  I have been standing in the doorway for quite a few months now.  A foot on each side of the threshold.  I have been split in half in what I want to do.  Do you make a large impact, or focus on many small ones?  Do you do the thing that feeds your soul or do you do the thing in which you can do the most good? Those are the big questions.  Now don't think, dear reader, that some of this decision isn't based in selfishness.  I am highly egotistical.  I enjoy being successful, being good at something.  I like to win. I also think I can do anything I put my mind too. It might not be perfect at first, but I will find the resources, I will learn the thing, and it will get done.  Do not doubt it.
So the key to any decision with me is to look at it with some perspective.  To identify how much my ego is playing a role vs how much is truly altruism and how much is actually a realistic possibility.
I am fortunate to have friends who remind me of this.
I have no answers tonight, nor do I know what direction I will go or which side of the door I will walk through.  I do know that life is nothing but the choices we make, we are the actions we take, and opportunity is made, not stumbled across.



No comments:

Post a Comment